President Donald J. Trump is threatening a $5 billion defamation lawsuit against the Center for American Progress (CAP) after the liberal think tank published research questioning whether his administration’s National Guard deployments actually reduced violent crime. The threat, delivered through Trump’s personal lawyer Alejandro Brito, demands that CAP retract its July 13 report or face litigation. CAP, however, appears to have responded with the political equivalent of putting its research papers on the table and asking the courtroom to check the mathematics.
The $5 Billion Question: Where Did the Crime Reduction Go?
CAP’s July report examined National Guard deployments involving cities including Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, Memphis and New Orleans and concluded that the interventions had produced no measurable reduction in violent crime. The organization estimated that continuing the deployments through the end of 2026 could push the cost above $1.7 billion, adding another uncomfortable question to the debate: if the crime statistics were already improving, what exactly was the additional spending buying?
In the satirical version of events, America’s crime statistics have now been summoned to appear before an imaginary congressional committee, where they are reportedly refusing to testify because they “fell before the troops arrived.” CAP’s analysis says violent crime had already been declining before Trump returned to office in 2025 and that comparable decreases were seen in cities without National Guard interventions. In other words, the numbers appear to have developed an inconvenient habit of remembering what happened before the cameras arrived.
CAP Refuses to Retract, Trump Turns Up the Legal Volume
Brito’s letter reportedly argued that CAP’s conclusions created the impression that Trump had deceived Americans, manipulated crime statistics and misused executive and military authority. The threatened lawsuit would seek at least $5 billion in damages if CAP failed to retract the report, apologize and compensate the president. CAP’s response was considerably less frightened than the price tag might have suggested, with its lawyers arguing that truthful analysis of government policy is not defamation.
CAP President and CEO Neera Tanden said the organization stood by its research and described the threatened lawsuit as an attack on evidence-based analysis and the public’s ability to criticize government policy. The dispute therefore finds itself in the familiar American political theatre where one side brings lawyers, the other brings statistics, and everyone waits to discover which one makes the bigger headline. The White House, meanwhile, reportedly responded to requests for the letter with the wonderfully bureaucratic question: “Can you send us the letter?”
For context, CAP was founded in 2003 by former Clinton White House chief of staff John Podesta and has long operated as a prominent progressive policy organization, making it a natural target in the intensely partisan Washington environment. The present confrontation is therefore bigger than one report: it touches the broader question of whether governments can use litigation threats to challenge uncomfortable policy analysis. As this unusual $5 billion showdown develops, OGM News will continue watching the courtroom doors, the crime charts and, most importantly, the calculator.
The central dispute remains straightforward beneath all the political fireworks: CAP says its report is based on crime data and research, while Trump’s legal team says the conclusions are false and defamatory. President Donald J. Trump has threatened a potentially enormous lawsuit, while CAP has refused to retract its findings. Whether the matter ultimately reaches court or remains another chapter in America’s increasingly theatrical political-legal battles remains to be seen. Watch OGM News for future updates as the $5 billion question continues to unfold.



[…] […]